Monday 6 February 2012

Why this year's snowfall made me sad

We were walking along St Giles when the first snowflakes fell. With temperatures below zero and our feet turning to blocks of ice, the snow had been threatening to arrive all day – and finally it had. With a vengeance.

My teenage son took one look and immediately walked faster, keen to get back to the warmth of home and the excitement of his Xbox. I felt a bit sad. This was the first time snow hadn’t made him leap up and down in excitement. Up until a year ago he’d take one look outside and think “sledges, snowmen, snowball fights with the boys next door.” Before I knew it, he’d be grabbing a jumble of clothes (no coat of course) and would be frantically unlocking the back door, desperate to hurl himself into the wintery world outside.

He’d be as happy as Larry all day. He’d get through four changes of clothes (all those snowballs), build a snowman taller than himself and rootle about in the garden shed for the sledge my mother gave him. I remember the year he came back inside at the end of the day, soaked to the skin, exhausted and beaming with happiness. He then rushed upstairs to post a cheery message on Facebook. “Yay, no school,” he wrote. “Thank you snow.”

But now he’s 17 he’s not interested in a paltry few inches of snow. It might make the dreaming spires of Oxford look even more beautiful, but he needs several feet of the stuff to play in. He wants to leap off mountains and do scary twirls in the air on a snowboard. Sadly, our current frosting of snow just doesn’t cut the mustard as far as he's concerned.

PS. My husband times his work trips to the Far East impeccably. While I’m gingerly picking my way along the icy Oxford pavements in my grippiest shoes and wondering whether I can get the car out, he’s on a flight halfway across the world. Next stop – Kuala Lumpur. Temperature – 25 degrees C.

Image: Oxford snow by tevjanphotos, Oxford Light

6 comments:

  1. But one day he may well have children, and they may well be staying with you when it snows ...

    Liz X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope so, Liz. It just felt like a shame that he wasn't so excited about the snow any more. Mind you, it's virtually gone from here now!

      Delete
  2. That IS sad. Only last year the twenty year old staying with me spent hours in our garden making an igloo, and thoroughly enjoying herself.

    On the up side, Liz ^ is of course, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Nicole. I was a bit surprised, but maybe if we'd had ten inches instead of two it might have been more exciting. On the other hand, I'm very glad we didn't!

      Delete
  3. I guess they all grow up don't they - mine are only little but there's already stuff I get sad about - roll on the grandkids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Rollercoaster Mum. The years just go by too too fast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...